Bandit headlights are sexy but functionally inadequate. The low beam, mine at least, is absolutely useless. (note the drooping high beam)
A friend experienced the same problem with his 2000 Bandit around 90,000 miles while on a road trip. He had to destroy the case to re-attach the reflector can in order to get home. His donor unit proved quite helpful.
I used a donor headlight assembly from a friend (THANKS RUSSELL) who had the same problem a year ago.
Just as my friend experienced, my high beam mounting screws vibrated out. Fortunately, I had the luxury of clamping the headlight case to my workbench while using a heat gun to gain access.
I happened to have spare Bandit lights to work with but suitable projector assemblies from any bike could be adapted to fit.
High beam reflector exploded view.
The high beam shield is slightly smaller and less restrictive than the low beam shield.
I drilled new holes in the low beam mounting plate to accept the inverted donor high beam reflector can.
The testing phase: I began the process of elimination with every conceivable combination of lens, shield and reflector.
The inverted high beam reflector with the new 5000k HID provided excellent intensity. However, the light pattern was simply too narrow to work safely as a low beam. Nice try.
Running out of options, I happened to notice the inferior plating in my original low beam reflector. Could this have been the problem all along? I swapped out the low beam can from the donor case.
Ultimately, I used the donor low beam reflector with inverted high beam shield and lens. I removed the shield from my high beam altogether, which is acceptable. Some projector high beams do not incorporate a shield.
Managing the case seal was easy with my new $13 Harbor Freight heat gun. I clamped the case to the workbench , applied heat and pried gently with a screwdriver to separate the halves. Assembly was also much simpler than I expected. I heated the gasket area and pressed the pieces together wearing welding gloves.
Easier the second time. Heading the suggestion to apply silicone to the lens edges, I split the case again.
I drilled vent holes in each reflector can.
Clear silicone is applied to shield, reflector and lens. I then snapped on the retainer rings and wiped off the excess. The whole job took less than an hour.